Nursing is a journey, not a destination.
When I found out I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to breastfeed my babies. I knew from friends and family that it wasn't going to be easy and that it might not even work out, but I knew I wanted to at least try. Holding my oldest son, Oliver, on my chest after he was born was one of the most incredible feelings. Then, when my midwife told me to try and nurse him, my instincts kicked in and we became this symbiotic team—or so I thought. His latch was wrong, my nipples hurt, I couldn’t get comfortable and don’t even get me started on those dreaded postpartum nursing contractions.
I tried all sorts of different nursing pillows, but none of them really helped make it easier for me. He was too low, I couldn't get the pillow around my postpartum belly, my back hurt, I felt like he was going to roll right off, I couldn't get comfortable nursing lying on my side, etc. I knew there had to be a better option. The only problem was, it didn't exist. And when a product doesn't exist that helps make parts of our parenting journey easier, we make one that does! So, we designed the Niche Nursing Pillow: the nursing pillow made by moms for moms.
As a nursing mom, I wanted to make something that was comfortable, supportive and washable while also being practical and stylish and that wouldn't just be another baby product that got handed down or tossed aside once I was done nursing.
However your nursing journey begins, the Niche is here to help make it a little bit easier by checking all of these boxes:
- Comfortable: It had to be not too hard, not too soft but just right, all while offering a breathable, cool and comfortable feeding space for both mom and baby. We knew organic Kapok for the core was the way to go. Organic Kapok provides a comfortable yet supportive structure while also allowing consistent airflow. And, fun fact, it's one of the only natural resources that has no negative impact on the environment!
- Supportive: The Niche offers longer lasting support than the flimsy poly-fiber core or a foam core options that are more like a cement landing pad than a nice place where you’d like to cuddle up with your new baby for feeding time. Additionally, the core materials of the other options weren’t flexible or breathable, which made for a sweaty and awkward space whether I was nursing or my husband was giving our son a bottle because we come in all shapes and sizes and our nursing pillows should support that!
- Washable: My kids were big on spitting up, so we wanted to be sure to make something that was easily removable and washable. The Niche comes wrapped in our Pebble cover which is anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, hypoallergenic and water resistant so moms don't have to worry about rushing to get the cover off in the middle of trying to feed their hungry baby. Plus, it's incredibly soft where it matters most, right next to baby's skin.
- Multi-Functional: I used it for so much more than just nursing! Its unique design and thickness came in handy from everything to side sleeping during the final days of my pregnancy to having a safe place to put my son when I needed both of my hands to being a useful donut-type seat for after my deliveries. I also used it for elevated tummy time, support for when my babies started sitting up, as a laptop pillow or to support my arms while I read to my babies in my lap. My husband now sleeps on one and my two older boys use that as their pillows at night because they love how the arms "hug" them.
- Stylish: Just because you're using something for a baby doesn't mean it has to look like it's for a baby. The Niche comes in our 11 colors so parents are bound to find a look that fits their style! We keep one in our living room regularly because you never know when you'll need it!
- Practical: I recently read that breastfeeding for 1 year is approximately 1,800 hours. For pumping mamas (can I get an "Amen!" I pumped for 10 months when I went back to work), it's likely even more time than that! There's no way we aren't looking at our phones during that time. The unique U-shaped design provides 30% more surface area than other nursing pillows, giving parents and babies of every shape and size more comfort and safety during this precious time.
I don't know how the rest of my nursing journey would've gone without the Niche and, honestly, I don't really want to think about it. Having a nursing pillow that truly helped me every step of the way made me worry less and gave me more time to actually bond with my babies. Whether you're nursing, bottle feeding, pumping or just looking for that perfect side sleeping pillow, the Niche has you covered...where it matters most.